Kamo High School App
Kamo High School is a secondary college situated in Whangarei, New Zealand with a school roll of 850+ and caters for students from Years 9 to 13. The school specialises in teaching NCEA and has many notable people that have studied from there. Michael Hill Jeweller is one of them.
The objective of this project was to produce a mobile app that would
- Reduce administration for school staff by mitigating absence submissions from Phone to an electronic form.
- Reduce administration for school staff by mitigating child detail update submissions from paper forms to an electronic form.
- Ability to instantly reach out to all students and parents
- Make ‘Student Daily Notices’ more accessible by providing it via the app
- Make school-wide events more accessible by providing it via the app.
- Make Newsletters more accessible
- Achieve all of the above without adding any extra work for staff within Kamo High School.
When we initially built the Kamo High School app, there was the ability to integrate with Kamar (Kamo High School’s School Management System) via API and fetch Daily Notices + Events. However, in late 2018 that changed when Kamar closed off their API completely. We were presented with a unique scenario as Kamar had no other means of integrating with their system and we really needed to have this data fetched to the KHS app, as it was very heavily used within the school.
After multiple discussions within the PICWA team, we finally came to the conclusion that the best way to integrate the Kamar system with the KHS app was to utilize RPA (Robotic Process Automation), where a robot is used to scrape all the required information from the Kamar interface, just like a normal human would and then store on to the KHS app database. This proved to be a reliable solution and also opened up more avenues of automation for Kamo High School.
Kamo High School can deliver an unlimited amount of alerts to parents, teachers, and students via the app.
– These alerts can be scheduled to be sent later or they can also be delivered instantly in an urgent scenario.
– Users on the app can select specific alert groups that they would like to receive so that they don’t receive irrelevant alerts.
– This app featured offline-support, where users can receive scheduled alerts even when their phone isn’t connected to the internet.
Parents, Teachers, and Students can easily view daily notices via the mobile app. App users can also sign up to automatic alerts for when daily notices are updated.
– With utilizing the app as a viewing medium for daily notices, schools can save money and help protect the environment by reducing the number of print-outs required to distribute Daily Notices.
– To reduce the amount of administrative work required to keep daily notices up to date, the app is integrated with Kamar Notices using Robotic Process Automation to fully automate the process of moving the notices from Kamar into the KHS app system.
– With the apps offline-support, app users can still view Daily Notices when their phone isn’t connected to the internet. (Daily Notices must be fetched from the internet prior to going offline).
Parents, Teachers, and Students can easily view school newsletters via the mobile app. App users can also sign up to automatic alerts for when a new newsletter is added.
– With utilizing this app as a viewing medium for Newsletters, KHS has saved money and helped protect the environment by reducing the number of print-outs required to distribute Newsletters.
Parents, Teachers, and Students can easily view and share school events via the mobile app. App users are also able to add reminders to their phone calendar for these events.
– To reduce the amount of administrative work by KHS admin staff required to keep the school events on the app up and Google Calendar up to date, we’ve integrated Google Calendar and Kamar Calendar together by using RPA to fully automate this process.
– With offline-support, app users can still view Events when their phone isn’t connected to the internet. (Events must be fetched from the internet prior to going offline).
Parents contacting Kamo High School for absences and updating child details has never been easier with the smart forms on the mobile app.
– Parents can submit absences and child updates directly through the smart form on the app. Parents can also attach supporting documents, like a medical certificate or legal documentation with their form submissions.
– Parents can also save their child’s details onto the app so that future submissions become even easier. Parents can also retain the details of multiple children to be used for future submissions.
– Kamo High School spends less time on the telephone managing absences as a result of moving absentees to the mobile app. In Term 1 of 2018, the Kamo High School app processed 88 Absences and 35 Child update requests.